Nothing can prepare you to deal with the aftermath of a car crash. Unfortunately, such accidents are not rare in Los Angeles or the rest of California. If you suffered injuries and endured losses in a car accident in Los Angeles because the other driver was negligent, you could take legal action. Since California is an at-fault state, the driver responsible for the accident must pay compensation to the victims (other drivers, passengers), typically through their auto insurance. To maximize your chances of getting a fair settlement, you may want to hire one of the known car accident attorneys Los Angeles. Here are some quick tips for selecting the right lawyer for your case.
Personal injury lawyers in California usually don’t charge a fee to evaluate the case for a client. You can always choose a law firm and meet one of their lawyers to get an assessment of your car accident claim. Ask questions like –
- How long have you been a car accident lawyer?
- Do you deal with auto accident claims quite often in your practice?
- What were some of the top settlements in recent times?
- Have you been to court specifically for car accident claims and lawsuits?
- What would be your initial assessment of my case?
These are some basic questions that can help you understand what to expect from the case.
Keep an eye for the red flags
There are a few tell-a-tale signs that an attorney is not the right expert for your auto accident claim. Red flags include –
- Asking the client for an upfront fee to evaluate or listen to the car accident case
- Seeking an hourly rate or an upfront fee for taking the case
- Promising something too good to be true
- Hesitance in sharing details of their previous cases
- Too many bad reviews online
The cost of hiring a lawyer
Most PI law firms in Los Angeles take car accident claims and lawsuits on a contingency basis. This means that an attorney only gets a fee when the client wins a settlement. The fee may vary on many factors, but in general, you shouldn’t have to pay more than 40% of the final settlement as the lawyer’s fee. While you shouldn’t be choosing a lawyer based on this factor alone, this is something worth discussing in advance.
Ensure that the lawyer can represent you in court, if and when needed, although most car accident cases in LA are settled through negotiations.