When facing DUI charges, you need to be on the forefront and work on your defense without waiting for long. While there are many law firms in Oklahoma City that specialize in criminal defense, finding one that can defend DUI charges is critical for your case. In this post, learn more about what it takes to choose a lawyer.
- Choose a firm, not an individual: Working with a firm that handles several areas of criminal law is always a smart step. Even when a case is complex, the lawyer on your case has an extended team that will collaborate and toil together as the situation demands.
- Look for experience in everything: You need an attorney who has an extensive record defending clients with similar charges. Just like you need a cardiac surgeon for your heart surgery, you need a lawyer who has hands-on experience with DUI cases.
- Review their track record. When you meet a lawyer, ask them about their top wins and recent outcomes. You want someone who has had a credible number of positive cases in the last couple of years. There is no harm in questioning their profile.
- Choose someone who is active. A lawyer may have defended clients successfully five years back, but that doesn’t make them a pro for your needs. You need a proactive lawyer who has an online presence and keeps taking up DUI matters in their practice.
- Check the reviews. Online reviews and Google ratings are pretty handy for comparing your options. You can also find valuable information on social media handles and legal sites. Just ensure you look beyond references and direct website testimonials.
- Trust your instincts: You should always trust your instincts when meeting an attorney. Were they open about the legal strategies you can consider? Are they interested in answering your questions? Are they ethical in how they intend to approach the case?
- See if you can afford them. Every defendant wants the best criminal lawyer, but at the end of everything, you would have to pay them. In other words, affordability is a critical factor for comparing choices. Don’t assume that the most expensive lawyer is the best one, but don’t choose the cheapest one either.
There is no better time to hire an attorney than now. If convicted of DUI charges, you may have to deal with consequences for years to come, depending on the circumstances. Work with a capable lawyer to defend your interests.