You were injured in an auto accident in Chicago and need legal advice. While your family and friends can offer the support that you need to deal with the difficult time, an attorney is your best resource for anything concerning the law. Illinois is a fault state, and you can claim compensation for the accident-related losses from the at-fault driver. If you are hiring a Chicago personal injury attorney, here are some things you need to know
Lawyers don’t charge an advance fee
Many people step back from seeking legal counsel because they don’t have the money to pay an attorney. Fortunately, most law firms that handle personal injury cases and auto accident claims work on a contingency fee, which is a share of the settlement. Also, you don’t have to pay the lawyer for the first consultation session, which is an added advantage.
When you definitely need to hire a lawyer
You can file your personal injury lawsuit without an attorney, but there are some circumstances when hiring an attorney becomes necessary, especially for auto accident lawsuits. Call an attorney at the earliest if –
- You were also partly responsible for the accident
- You are unsure of what your claim is worth
- There were many parties involved
- There is no clarity on what or who caused the crash
- You have suffered an injury that’s likely to change your life forever
How to find a good personal injury lawyer in Chicago?
- Firstly, consider looking online if you don’t have references. Most law firms have websites, and there are other useful sites like Avvo and Nolo. Also, Google has ready listings for Chicago and other cities in Illinois.
- Consult the attorney. Before you get an attorney on board, ensure that you meet them once in person. It would help if you felt comfortable and at ease with the attorney, and they should answer all your questions.
- Discuss the other costs. This is not something that many lawyers talk about. Besides the fee of the lawyer, you may have to pay for out-of-pocket expenses to fight a personal injury lawsuit. Discuss these details and get an estimate.
- Check the credentials. Does the lawyer deal with auto accident lawsuits frequently in their practice? Does the lawyer have trial experience? Do they have good reviews online? Try finding answers to these questions, and make sure you speak to your lawyer in detail about their work.
Call an attorney today!