Silage choppers have recently become a must-have tool for any livestock farmer due to their versatility. They come in a variety of forms thus offering the farmer a wide array of options. In this article, I’ll bring to your attention all about Silage choppers and why you should get yourself one.
Feed choppers come in different types; some can be manual while others can be diesel powered or electric. I’ll majorly focus on the electric ones and clearly show you why they’re important and suitable for your desired needs, and thus the go for option if you are in need of a consistent and reliable cutter.
What is a Silage chopper?
Silage choppers do have motors in their engines that are powered by electricity. It is worth noting that they require electricity to function. This may be a disadvantage as it cannot be of any help to you if you have no access to electricity. They also come in various sizes depending on the power required.
Uses of Silage choppers
Silage choppers are multipurpose tools able to efficiently perform a variety of tasks. Majorly, they’re used to cut hay, fodder and other types of forage into small pieces. This provides for ample and easy mixing of the chaff before feeding to your cattle and other types of livestock you rear. They also cut grass, maize stalk and straw.
What to Consider Before Buying a Silage Chopper
Perhaps most importantly, you must acquire what best suits you depending on power, durability and affordability. Simply put; medium to mini cutters are perfect for small-scale farmers whereas big and powerful are precise for large-scale farmers. You should revise the silage chopper prices in Kenya to get one within your budget.
Benefits of Electric Silage choppers
These powerful cutters have a good working performance capable of cutting large bulks of fodder quickly and effortlessly. In addition to this, they are;
- Quieter with a smoother operation compared to the diesel powered ones.
- Cheap to maintain as they do not require fuel. This is made better with the ever hiking prices of fuel.
- Easy, safe and reliable to operate as they are compact. Unlike the manual ones, you don’t need to strain yourself hence you can work on it even if you are not fit.
- Lightweight and easy to move around. They have got wheels just for that.
- Have got super quality steel blades with super wear-resistant. This makes them more durable.
- Capable of working on high capacity. Can cut enough fodder for your cattle, especially if it’s a high-powered one.
- They save you time and labor costs.
- Chopped chaff is essential for maintaining healthy livestock with good weight and extended life expectancy
- Chopped hay is not wasted much by the livestock.
You should lay more focus on the supplier of the cutter before deciding to purchase one. Make sure the supplier is a dependable and reliable one to get the utmost best prices and adequate customer support too. As I have clearly stipulated above generally, you should get an electric cutter dependable and suitable to your needs.