More often than not, we end up having ice-cold drinks that may be one of the many causes of you ending up with a sore throat. A sore throat is when your throat feels dry, warm, and itchy. In addition to sore throat, sometimes symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, fever, headache, decreased appetite, and nasal congestion may be accompanied. Sore throats make it difficult to swallow food, and if they get worse, they also cause hindrance in being able to talk. Therefore, it is crucial to visit an ENT specialist so that it can be cured.
- Viral infections. One of the main reasons for sore throats is viral infections. Examples of these include a cold, the flu, measles, and chickenpox, which consists of sore throat, fever, and rash. These viral infections trigger your throat to become sore in addition to other common symptoms such as fever and cough.
- Allergic reaction. If you are allergic to dust, grass, insect stings, certain foods, and pollen, these examples can be triggering. When your allergy is triggered, it gives rise to symptoms such as sneezing, sore throat, coughing, nasal congestion as well as watery eyes. The extra mucus within the nose drops in the throat, known as postnasal drip, which results in the throat being agitated.
- Pollutants in the air. Smoke in the air alongside other contaminants and chemicals in the air cause agitation in the throat. This can also result from smoking cigarettes, burning fossil fuels, air pollution, traffic fumes, and so on. If the air is dry, it can reduce moisture from your throat resulting in it becoming dry and itchy.
- Vocal cords. Screaming, singing, or speaking very loudly puts pressure on your vocal cords within the throat. This consequently results in the throat becoming sore.
- Tonsillitis. This is when your tonsils swell up, become reddish in color, and it causes a sore throat. This also leads to difficulty in consumption. Speaking with orthodontists is recommended in this situation.
- Cancer. Sore throat that is persistent and does not leave in a couple of days can be a sign of a tumor that is present within the throat. Therefore, it is essential to get your throat checked by a doctor.
- Food and drinks. Drinking ice-cold water or other beverages that are extremely cold leads to your throat becoming sore. Moreover, drinking alcohol also agitates your throat. Spicy foods and sauces, crackers, dry foods such as popcorn also lead to your throat becoming sore.
- Virus. Viruses such as HIV also have flu and sore throat as part of their symptoms. Therefore, a sore throat can also be an indication of HIV. In that case, it is incredibly crucial to have it checked up by your doctor.
Hence, it is vital to check and see if your sore throat is persistent or not and accordingly get a check-up. If you would like to get your throat checked by an ENT doctor near you, we have the best ones. You can visit an incredible ENT specialist in Islamabad or the Best ENT specialist in Karachi according to your area and convenience!